Saturday, May 5, 2012

Good Thoughts to Live By in Trials #18

Special Lessons

Posted: 05 May 2012 08:00 AM PDT

"Some might ask when faced with such suffering, how could Almighty God let this happen? And then that seemingly inevitable question, why did this happen to me? Why must we experience disease and events that disable or call precious family members home early or extend their years in pain? Why the heartaches? At these moments we can turn to the great plan of happiness authored by our Heavenly Father. That plan, when presented in the pre-earth life, prompted us all to shout for joy. Put simply, this life is training for eternal exaltation, and that process means tests and trials. It has always been so, and no one is spared."

—Elder Ronald A. Rasband, "Special Lessons", General Conference, Apr. 2012
Topics: Trials

Lately, I've been talking with some people who are going through very difficult times and wonder how they can keep going.  Our family is also struggling with challenges that weigh us down and makes one wonder when it will all get easier or end.  We know things eventually end, but there is no promise they'll get easier.  That reality doesn't need to be depressing because of the hope we can carry in our hearts and the comfort in knowing, if we rely on God, we will have the strength to survive whatever we are required to endure.


Responding to the emails that come into LDS.org,  I often feel helpless to assist  those who are hungry, homeless, or suffering pain in circumstances they did or did not cause .  The only thing I can offer is perhaps a  suggestion for action in contacting someone for help or simply tell them to hold on to their faith and to pray.  I see in the needs of so many the reason for those who can help to be involved in some way.  Giving of our time and means is one way to make a difference in the world, even if it is only one person, or in one little spot on this earth.


Today, I am especially thankful for everyone who has ever helped me in any way and for all the good people in the world who reach out in any way to comfort, support, assist, or uplift others.
* * * * * * * *
This poem (below) appeared in Dear Abby to give people a sense of peace when they feel guilty and think they hadn’t done all they could for a loved one while they were still on the earth to enjoy it. 

I would rather have a little rose
From the garden of a friend,
Than have the choicest flowers
When my stay on earth shall end.

I would rather have the kindest words
And a smile that I can see,
Than flattery when my heart is still
And this life ceased to be.

I would rather have a loving smile
From the friends I know are true,
Than tears shed around my casket
When the world I bid adieu.
* * * * * * *
How wonderful it is that no one need wait a single moment to improve the world.
  -Anne Frank
* * * * * * *

Everything can be taken from man except the last of the human freedoms, his ability to choose his own attitude in any given set of circumstances.
  -Victor Frankel
                                                       

When we truly know of our divine nature, we will focus our eyes on sights, our ears on sounds, and our minds on thoughts that are a credit to our Father in Heaven.
  -Russell M. Nelson

I will prepare and perhaps some day my chance will come.
  -Abraham Lincoln

To see God’s glory in his earthly creations makes one feel humble to be participants in his latter-day kingdom.  -Marlin K. Jensen

No comments:

Post a Comment