Sunday, December 29, 2013

Detaching From My Decorations is Tugging at my Heart

One of my favorite activities of the year is to decorate for Christmas, and my least favorite is to take down the decorations.  It is hard to let go of the warm glow Christmas brings, along with the memories of being connected to friends and family with that special glow of love that happens during the holidays.

Having a strong sentimental attachments to many of the ornaments makes it an especially bitter sweet thing as I put them away until next year.  Sometimes I cheat and leave certain decorations hanging around for months, or some make it through the whole year.  The Christmas Spirit doesn't have to end, but it somehow slowly fades away with the ending of the festivities, the beautiful music, the bright lights, and the red and green and silver and gold . . . sniff.  (Also, seeing Valentine stuff already in the stores is a real downer!)

Here's an ornament a dear friend in England made for us in 2011 (it has lots of love in it):

Another darling ornament I cherish was purchased at the Fantasy in Lights at Callaway Garden in Georgia by my youngest daughter.  All three of my daughters enjoyed that event with us while we were serving a military relations mission there.


Made out of a sea shell

The one below was given to me by my oldest daughter this year, who understands I fell in love with hedgehogs while on our mission in England.


Well, you get the idea.  I am super attached to the ornaments given to me by loved ones.  What it all boils down to is, it isn't the ornament itself as much as the thoughtful love behind the giving of it.  Sure, I feel love all year round, but somehow putting away those precious ornament gifts brings a mixture of smiles and tears every year.

Boxing up the nativity until next year is also difficult.  It was made by Mrs. Shiozowa, a teacher at Valley Elementary School, way back in the eighties.  She could see I wasn't having much luck completing my ceramic nativity.  I'm just not good at those things.  She sent her nativity home with my middle daughter as a gift and it has been giving every year since.


Unselfish love, generosity, and thoughtful caring are what make Christmas.  I shall never really put away the Nativity that resides in my heart because of all I have been given and continually receive from those around me.  That is what Jesus Christ's coming has inspired.  

I vow NOT to put Him away only to be remembered at Christmas.

A little angel my oldest daughter made many years ago.






No comments:

Post a Comment