Thursday, April 3, 2014

A Little Bird Told Me

Luke 12:6   Are not five sparrows sold for two farthings, 
and not one of them is forgotten before God?
Luke 12:7 But even the very hairs of your head are all numbered.
 
Fear not therefore: ye are of more value than many sparrows.

  • An extraordinary blessing came to me last week via a tiny bird.  I was struggling with concerns over a son who was in jail ready to be released at any time.  He is homeless, making it difficult to keep track of him when he is on the streets.  I have had to trust that God is watching over him, just as He has said he cares for the lilies in the field and the little sparrows.  Contemplating the scriptures and one of my favorite paintings by Greg Olsen (the one depicting the Savior with his hand extended to feed four little birds on a branch) provided solace, but I still needed assurance that things would work out.  My prayers were heard.  Before my son was released back to the streets, Heavenly Father sent peace to my heart through a little bird 

  • There is a chimney on our house where birds like to roost or build nests.  They usually fall down the chimney into the wood burning stove below where we can hear them flapping around in panic.  We do not burn anything in this stove, so it was cleaned and lined with newspaper to cut down on the soot that the birds can spread if they fly around the room after the door is opened for their escape.  When we hear a bird trapped in the stove, we take the screen off a window, leaving it open so the bird can see a way out of the room.  By keeping all the other windows covered, the birds rarely fly around the room.  They quickly see the light and discover the direct flight path to safety and freedom.

  • The first bird of the season arrived in our stove last week.  I prepared his escape and opened the door to the stove.  He was sitting on the inside of the door handle.  As I looked down at him, he looked up at me, chirping happily with an unconcerned look.  As we made eye contact, a sense of peace enveloped me.  The little bird connected with my heart! I can only explain this feeling as a special spirit-to-spirit experience. 

  • This little finch seemed to have no fear, trusting that all was well.  Seeing that he wasn't going to fly, I started to put my hand under him when he suddenly flew up and landed on my head!  I began talking to him quietly and walking slowly toward the open window.  He chirped and sang as I moved across the room.  Arriving at the window, I stuck my head out to make it easier for him to launch, but the little finch sat securely in my hair, continuing his song!  Shortly after calming my soul and delivering a message of peace and care, he flew away with one last delighted-with-himself chirp.  

  • The impact of the Savior's promises in the scriptures washed over me.  He truly does love us, care about our individual circumstances, and watch over us in our struggles.  We are not to worry.  He takes care of everything.  Have no fear.  He is always near.   

  • Matthew 10:29  Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? and one of them shall not fall on the ground without your Father.  

Matthew 10:31   Fear ye not therefore, ye are of more value than many sparrows.

Matthew 6:28  And why take ye thought for raiment? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they toil not, neither do they spin:

No comments:

Post a Comment