Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Tweet This and Cheer Up the World

A complaining Crow or Raven (just like me)?  On a wall in Miami, Florida

Lately, I've been feeling sorry for myself with being ill and in pain.  Yes, I can look around and see people totally disabled or having much worse illnesses than I, but still, my struggles are my own.  I won't even apologize for currently NOT being thankful for having lesser problems than other suffering folks.

This morning I woke up to the sound of birds chirping and singing their merry tunes.  I use the word "merry" because birds almost always sound happy (unless they are screeching or scolding).  The sounds of the birds immediately made me feel chipper (smile).  Why is it that birds have this power to cheer us up?  There is something especially hopeful about little creatures going about their everyday business chirping, tweeting, and singing.  It seems to me that God provided a way for birds to serve humankind in their simple but marvelous way.   

When I hear a person whistling, it elevates my mood in the same way as hearing the birds.  I know some people whistle because of nervous habit and it drives others nuts, but for me, when people imitate the birds by whistling, I immediately think they are enjoying life even if all they are doing is whistling while they work and thinking of other things.  Think how cheerful the song, "Whistle While You Work" makes you feel--play it here:  


 Written by Frank Churchill; lyrics by Larry Morey (from "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs").

Speaking of human songs, most people are familiar with the song, "I Whistle a Happy Tune,"  from The King and I (music by Oscar Hammerstein; lyrics by Richard Rodgers).  It reinforces what I believe is intricate to the human experience--music employs our senses and affects our moods.  It has great power for good.  That is why God gave humans and birds the ability to spread happiness through songs and sounds.

 Recently, a post on Facebook caught my attention.  You may be able to find the song by searching online.  The link I had posted is no longer available.  It is a beautiful.  Go whistle a happy tune!





No comments:

Post a Comment