Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Go Sing a Song

For my soul delighteth in the song of the heart; yea, the song of the righteous is a prayer unto me, and it shall be answered with a blessing upon their heads.  
  --Doctrine and Covenants 25:12


The neighbor's peacock surprised me one day on our back deck.  His "song" was  loud and anything but melodic.  Did that make his music any the less acceptable to the ears of our Creator?

We are taught from the time we are children to sing a song to make us happy, sing to get a bad thought out of our heads, or sing a hymn if we are afraid, and it seems to work.  Yes, I know some songs can actually make us sad and cause us to weep, but singing or listening to music is an emotional experience that can bless our lives in many ways, even if serves to release sorrow from our hearts.

One dear woman I met in England said that when she goes out to walk her dogs, she often sings, "Have I Done Any Good in the World Today?"  This song always cheers her up and helps her think of anything good she might have done, or provides a reminder to do something good for someone before the day is done.  I like that.

What if you are like me and cannot carry a tune?  I love to sing, but only to myself and to God.  Well, I admit I did sing to my children a lot when they were little.  They smiled as babies, but asked me to stop and spare them when they were older.  

I like to imagine that whatever I sing is magically transformed and perfectly transmitted to God's ears as perfect as it is meant to sound.  I'm sure He has a filter that puts it all right.  Surely, if singing to Him is a prayer, it will be a wonderful thing to hear.  His promise is true too, if we have a righteous desire to sing to him, we are blessed.  The right hymn or song at the right time does bless me when I need courage, understanding, patience, comfort, or just need to let my Heavenly Father how thankful I am and how much I love him.
Today, I need a song to help me in a difficult trial.  A hymn we sung in Relief Society on Sunday gives me the strength I need to face it.  It is Hymn #127 in Hymns of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, and the music can be played as you follow the words if you go to this link and type in under "D" and choose "Does the Journey Seem Long?" http://lds.org/cm/catalogsearchalpha/1,17929,4782-1-1,00.html#nullLink

For your convenience, I will print it below to read as a poem.  See if it helps you with your personal challenges and concerns.

Does the journey seem long, the path rugged and steep?
Are there briars and thorns on the way?
Do sharp stones cut your feet as you struggle to rise
To the heights thru the heat of the day?

Is your heart faint and sad, Your soul weary within,
As you toil 'neath your burden of care?
Does the load heavy seem
You are forced now to lift?
Is there no one your burden to share?

Let your heart be not faint
Now the journey's begun
There is One who still beckons to you.
So look upward in joy
And take hold of his hand;
He will lead you to heights that are new--

A land holy and pure,
Where all trouble doth end,
And your life shall be free from all sin.
Where no tears shall be shed,
For no sorrows remain.
Take his hand and with him enter in.

  --text:  Joseph Fielding Smith
  --Music:  George D. Pyper

Scripture references:   

" . . . whosoever shall put their trust in God shall be supported in their trials, and their troubles, and their afflictions, and shall be lifted up at the last day."       --Alma 36:3

(Surprisingly, the scripture reference included with this hymn reflects back on my post the other day concerning the scripture a friend sent that is helping him be strong in his trials) 

" . . . let us run with patience the race that is set before us, looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.  For consider him that endured such contradiction of sinners against himself, lest ye be wearied and faint in your minds."  Hebrews 12:1-3


Now, go *"sing, sing a song, sing out loud, sing our strong.  Don't worry that its not good enough for anyone else to hear" (*from the Carpenters "Sing" (Peacewatcher).  Click on this link to listen to this classic happy song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYjcNR7W-Ow

Huh?  You don't appreciate my raucous song?  Humph!



No comments:

Post a Comment