Saturday, November 19, 2011

Thankful Week Shared

Today, I shall not forget to:
"Cease not to give thanks for you, making mention of you in my prayers . . ."  Ephesians 1:16-18
Cannon Beach--one of our favorite beautiful areas
I've been seeing a lot of other blogs and emails about being thankful and it makes me even more thankful for people willing to share what they have discovered about happiness and gratitude.

An article in the newspaper today tells about some people who have written books on how they addressed the subject of learning to be grateful for all the little things in life and to express that gratitude.  One author, Leah Dieterich, thanks inanimate objects, which is a way to be more aware of all that we have.  The three books are:

365 thank Yous, by John Kralik, an average ungrateful guy until he had a remarkable experience that turned his life around.  http://www.365thankyounotes.com/wp/ is his blog link.


I Thank Therefore I Am: Gateways to Gratefulness, is written by Rabbi Henry Glazer.  He also has a blog about gratitude at  http://www.thegratefulrabbi.com/2010/11/grateful-for-unexpected-e-mail.html


thxthxthx: thank goodness for everything, by Leah Dieterich at http://thxthxthx.com/?page_id=2








Another blog site (The Temple Chaser) that I recently found is one that has fantastic photography of the construction of the Kansas City Temple.  Since we have family in that area, they are excited about this event and have posted some beautiful picture of the site also.  Scroll through the site and the really good ones will start popping up  http://kcldstemple.blogspot.com/

My favorite is the drop of water with the reflection of the temple, which I borrowed to give you a taste.

 That is amazingly creative photograph and I am thankful she was willing to share her talent for our enjoyment.  I am thankful for everyone who shares the beauty they find in the world, whether it be through something they heard, something they write, or captured in some form of art.  So many people are marvelous transmitters of joy through media and through ordinary and extraordinary day-to-day communications!

I am grateful for the day my cousin and her husband took us sailing--my first time ever!
I am grateful for my cousin taking such good care of my grandpa and grandma in their last days.  My grandma died while we were on our last mission and my cousin saved her ashes until we could have a proper burial memorial for her.  Here is where we buried my sweet grandma, who helped raised me.  Her influence gave me guidance in life during difficult times.  I'm sure she loves this spot where we put her mortal remains.  Her favorite color is blue.  She loves sea shells, which we placed here.  She is the reason I love the ocean so much and why I've passed that love on to all my children, even though most of them grew up in the mountains a couple of states away from the West Coast.  I know she is happily looking down on us and enjoying peace where she is with my mom and all the other relatives who have left the earth for Paradise.

This photo I took on Cannon Beach is deceiving to the eyes.  Things are not always as they seem.  The people are actually enjoying a walk on the beach and being thankful, I'm sure, that they can breathe the air, walk on the sand, feel the breeze, taste the salty air, hear the roar of the waves and the sea birds shouting, and see all there is to capture at this moment in time.

One more for your reading pleasure that came through yesterday from http://thoughtoftheday@happypublishing.com

Mormon Spiritual Thoughts to Brighten Your Day
   LDS Spiritual Thoughts




A life can never be happy that is focused inward. So if you are miserable now, forget your troubles. March right out your door, and find someone who needs you.

You want happiness? Find ways to serve. Your happiness will be commensurate with the service you render.

Just think how much that joy can grow as we expand our love and service to more and more people. – Robert L. Backman, “As I Have Loved You,” Ensign (CR) October 1985





Many lessons can be learned from the account of the Atonement. It is comforting to know that, though suffering, Jesus Christ was able to look down from the cross and be concerned for His mother, that she should be properly cared for, as He asked for the help of a disciple. This is one of the great messages we have heard this conference—that we turn some of our attention from our own trials and tribulations to concern and caring for others. - Robert D. Hales, “Lessons from the Atonement That Help Us to Endure to the End,” Ensign (CR) October 1985
One last really good article on The Higher Law of Gratitude is found here:  http://ldsmag.com/church/article/8951?ac=1

No comments:

Post a Comment